Spouse Sponsorship or/and Dependent Child

Spouse Sponsorship or/and Dependent Child

Canadian citizens or permanent resident can sponsor:
–        Spouse (married partner)
–        Common-law partner (not married but living together for more than 12 months)
–        Conjugal partner (not married or common-law partner and living outside Canada)

Each of the mentioned above is slightly different than the others when it comes to submitting the application.
As Canadian Citizen or PR to sponsor someone you need to be at least:
–        18 years or older.
–        Living in Canada (not applicable to you if you are a Citizen).
–        Prove to the IRCC officer that you are able to provide for both yourself and your partner.
–        Prove to the IRCC officer that your relationship with your partner is genuine and real.

Your partner (person being sponsored) must be at least 18 years
You have two ways for processing the sponsorship.
  • Inland: The application can be made from within Canada because the person you wish to sponsor is currently inside of Canada. This package also includes the right for your spouse to apply and to receive an open work permit, while waiting for a decision on your application.
  • Outland: The application is made from abroad through an Embassy or Consulate. In this case, your spouse resides abroad and will wait for permanent residence outside of Canada. Recently, this category of spouses also received a right to obtain an open work permit in Canada, while their application is in process in their Embassy.

Dependent Child Sponsorship
As a Canadian citizen or permanent residence, you can sponsor your (biological child or adopted child) to come and live with you in Canada as a permanent residence.

Also your children from previous marriages who did not accompany you when you received your PR status. But a bit later you decide to bring them to Canada.

This process is called “sponsor a child”.

You may sponsor your dependent children, natural or adopted, as you are a permanent resident of Canada. To start the process, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
  • Your child is not married and is under 22 years old (!!!! Your request to sponsor a child must be received by IRCC before child turns 22 y.o.)
  • If a child has medical or physical condition (disabilitity), he/she may be sponsored being over 22 years old.